Sonnets from the Portuguese

Sonnets from the Portuguese, is a collection of forty-four love sonnets written by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. The poems largely chronicle the period leading up to her 1846 marriage to Robert Browning. The collection was acclaimed and popular even in the poet's lifetime and it remains so today. Elizabeth was initially hesitant to publish the poems, feeling that they were too personal. However, Robert insisted that they were the best sequence of English-language sonnets since Shakespeare's time and urged her to publish them. To offer the couple some privacy, she decided that she might publish them under a title disguising the poems as translations of foreign sonnets. Therefore, the collection was first to be known as Sonnets from the Bosnian, until Robert suggested that she change their imaginary original language to Portuguese, probably after his nickname for her: "my little Portuguese."

By : Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806 - 1861)

01 - I thought once how Theocritus had sung



02 - But only three in all God's universe



03 - Unlike are we, unlike, o princely heart



04 - Thou hast thy calling to some palace floor



05 - I lift my heavy heart up solemnly



06 - Go from me. Yet I feel that I shall stand



07 - The face of all the world is changed, I think



08 - What can I give thee back, O liberal



09 - Can it be right to give what I can give?



10 - Yet, love, mere love, is beautiful enough



11 - And therefore if to love can be desert



12 - Indeed this very love which is my boast



13 - And wilt thou have me fashion into speech



14 - If thou must love me, let it be for nought



15 - Accuse me not, beseech thee, that I wear



16 - And yet, because thou overcomest so



17 - My poet, thou canst touch on all the notes



18 - I never gave a lock of hair away



19 - The soul's Rialto hath its merchandise



20 - Beloved, my beloved, when I think



21 - Say over again, and yet once over again



22 - When our two souls stand up erect and strong



23 - Is it indeed so? If I lay here dead



24 - Let the world's sharpness, like a clasping knife



25 - A heavy heart, Beloved, have I borne



26 - I lived with visions for my company



27 - My own Beloved, who has lifted me



28 - My letters! all dead paper, mute and white!



29 - I think of thee!--my thoughts do twine and bud



30 - I see thine image through my tears tonight



31 - Thou comest! All is said without a word



32 - The first time that the sun rose on thine oath



33 - Yes, call me by my pet-name! Let me hear



34 - With the same heart, I said, I'll answer thee



35 - If I leave all for thee, wilt thou exchange



36 - When we first met and loved, I did not build



37 - Pardon, oh, pardon that my soul should make



38 - First time he kissed me, he but only kissed



39 - Because thou hast the power and own'st the grace



40 - Oh yes! they love all through this world of ours!



41 - I thank all who have loved me in their hearts



42 - My future will not copy fair my past



43 - How do I love thee? Let me count the ways



44 - Beloved, thou hast brought me many flowers


The most famous poems from this collection are numbers 33 and 43:

Number 33

Yes, call me by my pet-name! let me hear
The name I used to run at, when a child,
From innocent play, and leave the cowslips piled,
To glance up in some face that proved me dear
With the look of its eyes. I miss the clear
Fond voices, which, being drawn and reconciled
Into the music of Heaven's undefiled,
Call me no longer. Silence on the bier,
While I call God...call God!—So let thy mouth
Be heir to those who are now exanimate:
Gather the north flowers to complete the south,
And catch the early love up in the late!
Yes, call me by that name,—and I, in truth,
With the same heart, will answer, and not wait.

Number 43

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and Ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise;
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith;
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Comments

Random Post