The Drummer, or The Haunted House

Lady Truman received word fourteen months ago that her husband, Sir George Truman, has died in battle. Now a very eligible widow with a large estate, she has more suitors than she knows what to do with. As if that wasn't enough, her house is now being haunted at night by the horrible and ghostly sound of a drum, apparently caused by the restless spirit of her husband. When an old man arrives who claims to be able to lay the spirit to rest, she is so desperate for relief that she determines to give him a chance. Written with wit and good humor, this play will have you laughing out loud!


By : Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)

00 - Preface



01 - Act 1



02 - Act 2



03 - Act 3



04 - Act 4



05 - Act 5


Having recommended this Play to the Town, and delivered the Copy of it to the Bookseller, I think my self oblig'd to give some Account of it.

It had been some Years in the Hands of the Author, and falling under my Perusal, I thought so well of it that I persuaded him to make a few Additions and Alterations to it, and let it appear upon the Stage. I own I was very highly pleased with it, and lik'd it the better, for the want of those studyed Similes and Repartees, which we, who have writ before him, have thrown into our Plays, to indulge and gain upon a false Taste that has prevailed for many Years in the British Theatre. I believe the Au|thor would have fallen into this Way a little more than he has, had he, before the writing of it, been often present at Theatrical Representations, and observ'd the Effect that such Ornaments generally have upon the Town. I was confirmed in my Thoughts of the Play, by the Opi|nion of better Judges to whom it was Communicated, who observed that the Scenes were written very much after Moliere's Manner, and that an easie and natural Vein of Humour ran through the whole.

I do not question but the Reader will discover this, and see many Beauties that escape the Audience; the Touches

being too delicate for every Taste in a Popular As|sembly. My Brother-Sharers were of Opinion, at the first reading of it, that it was like a Picture in which the Strokes were not strong enough to appear with Advan|tage at a Distance. As it is not in the common way of Writing, the Approbation was at first Doubtful, but has risen every time it has been Acted, and has given an Opportunity in several of its Parts for as just and good Action as I ever saw on the Stage.

The Reader will consider that I speak here as the Pa|tentee, for which Reason I forbear being more particular in the Character of this Play, least I should appear like one, who cries up the Wares of his own Shop to draw in Customers.

Comments

Random Post