Asphodel

Like the Asphodel, a plant which grows far away from England, Daphne grows far away from home. In her first chance of freedom, at the age of almost 17, she finds an opportunity to forget for a while... Forget that her father, the renowned Sir Vernon Lawford, does not love her. To forget that, for some reason, nobody talks about her mother who traveled to the South of France and never returned. She can be a butcher's daughter from Oxford Street, she can control her friend's actions, she can fancy that she is in love with a man who does not even reveal his name. She returns home and faces the challenge of earning her father's love and carve a respectable place beside her beloved older half-sister. But what would she do when her past folly catch up with her? Would she find love and acceptance at last?


By : Mary Elizabeth Braddon (1835 - 1915)

01 - Chapter I. ' And She Was Fair As Is The Rose In May '



02 - Chapter II. ' And This Was Gladly In The Eventide '



03 - Chapter III. ' And Volatile, As Ay Was His Usage '



04 - Chapter IV. ' Curteis She Was, Discrete, And Debonaire '



05 - Chapter V. ' Thou Lovest Me, That Wot I Wel Certain '



06 - Chapter VI. ' Love Maketh All To Gone Misway '



07 - Chapter VII. ' His Herte Bathed In A Bath Of Blisse '



08 - Chapter VIII. ' God Wote That Worldly Joy Is Sone Ago '



09 - Chapter IX. ' Of Colour Pale And Dead Was She '



10 - Chapter X. ' And Spending Silver Had He Right Ynow '



11 - Chapter XI. ' Yeve Me My Deth, Or That I Have A Shame '



12 - Chapter XII. ' And To The Dinner Faste They Hem Spedde '



13 - Chapter XIII ' After My Might Ful Fayne Wold I You Plese '



14 - Chapter XIV. ' Love Is A Thing, As Any Spirit, Free '



15 - Chapter XV. ' Not For Your Linage, Ne For Your Richesse '



16 - Chapter XVI. ' No Man May Alway Have Prosperitee '



17 - Chapter XVII. ' And In My Herte Wondren I Began '



18 - Chapter XVIII. ' Love Wol Not Be Constreined By Maistrie '



19 - Chapter XIX. ' I Deme That Hire Herte Was Ful Of Wo '



20 - Chapter XX. ' Al Sodenly She Swapt Adown To Ground '



21 - Chapter XXI. ' For Wele Or Wo, For Carole, Or For Daunce '



22 - Chapter XXII. ' For I Wol Gladly Yelden Hire My Place '



23 - Chapter XXIII. ' And Come Agen, Be It By Day Or Night '



24 - Chapter XXIV. ' Ay Fleth The Time, It Wol No Man Abide '



25 - Chapter XXV. ' But I Wot Best Wher Wringeth Me My Sho '



26 - Chapter XXVI. ' Forbid A Love And It Is Ten Times So Wode '



27 - Chapter XXVII. ' I May Not Don As Every Ploughman May '



28 - Chapter XXVIII. ' Love Is Not Old, As Whan That It Is New '



29 - Chapter XXIX. ' I Meane Well, By God That Sit Above '



30 - Chapter XXX. ' Ther Was No Wight, To Whom She Durste Plain '



31 - Chapter XXXI. ' I Wolde Live In Pees, If That I Might '



32 - Chapter XXXII. ' For Love And Not For Hate Thou Must Be Ded '



33 - Chapter XXXIII. ' Is There No Grace ? Is There No Remedie ?'



34 - Chapter XXXIV. ' Sens Love Hath Brought Us To This Piteous End '

Comments

Random Post