The Depths of the Soul

Wilhelm Stekel was an Austrian physician and psychologist and one of Freud’s earliest followers. Was the author’s favorite of his own work. Covering a variety of topics he takes a psychoanalytic look into The Depths of the Soul.


By : Wilhelm Stekel (1868 - 1940), translated by Samuel A. Tannenbaum (1874 - 1948)

00 - Preface



01 - The Second World



02 - Gratitude and Ingratitude



03 - Unpacking One’s Heart



04 - Laziness



05 - Those Who Stand Outside



06 - What Children Aspire To



07 - Independence



08 - Jealousy



09 - Childhood Friendship



10 - Eating



11 - Are We All Megalomaniacs?



12 - Running Away From Home



13 - Dead-Heads



14 - Identification



15 - Refuge in Disease



16 - Why We Travel



17 - Moody Persons



18 - Overvalued Ideas



19 - Affectionate Parents



20 - Why They Quarrel



21 - Looking into the Future



22 - Looking Backward



23 - All-Souls



24 - Mirror Slaves


An old proverb says that every parent loves the ugly duckling most. My book, The Depths of the Soul, was, from its beginning, my favourite. It was written in the beautiful years in which the first rays of analytic psychognosis penetrated the darkness of the human soul. The reader may find between the lines the exuberant joy of a discoverer. First impressions are the strongest. It is an unfortunate fact that subsequent impressions lack the vividness, the intensity, the warmth, and the colours of the first emotions.

The great success of this book in many foreign languages has given me incalculable pleasure, because it has served to confirm my own blind love. No other book has brought me so many friends from far and near.

I am happy that my friend Dr. Tannenbaum has devoted his knowledge of the art of translation to my favourite child, and I hope that this translation will bring me many new English friends.

Comments

Random Post