Mushrooms on the Moor

A series of essays exhorting us with wit and humor to retain our childlike sense of wonder and delight in the world that God has made. A delightful and practical collection that teaches us to find and value the joy of life and faith.


By : Frank W. Boreham (1871 - 1959)

00 - By Way of Introduction



01 - Part I, Chapter I: A Slice of Infinity



02 - Part I, Chapter II: Ready-Made Clothes



03 - Part I, Chapter III: The Hidden Gold



04 - Part I, Chapter IV: 'Such a Lovely Bite!'



05 - Part I, Chapter V: Landlord and Tenant



06 - Part I, Chapter VI: The Corner Cupboard



07 - Part I, Chapter VII: With the Wolves in the Wild



08 - Part I, Chapter VIII: Dick Sunshine



09 - Part I, Chapter IX: Forty!



10 - Part I, Chapter X: A Woman's Reason



11 - Part II, Chapter I: The Handicap



12 - Part II, Chapter II: Gog and Magog



13 - Part II, Chapter III: My Wardrobe



14 - Part II, Chapter IV: 'Pity My Simplicity!'



15 - Part II, Chapter V: Tuning From the Bass



16 - Part II, Chapter VI: A Fruitless Deputation



17 - Part II, Chapter VII: Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!



18 - Part II, Chapter VIII: The First Mate



19 - Part III, Chapter I: When the Cows Come Home



20 - Part III, Chapter II: Mushrooms on the Moor



21 - Part III, Chapter III: Onions



22 - Part III, Chapter IV: On Getting Over Things



23 - Part III, Chapter V: Naming the Baby



24 - Part III, Chapter VI: The Mistress of the Margin



25 - Part III, Chapter VII: Lily


I have allowed the Mushrooms on the Moor to throw the glamour of their name over the entire volume because, in some respects, they are the most typical and representative things in it. They express so little but suggest so much! What fun we had, in the days of auld lang syne, when we scoured the dewy fields in search of them! And yet how small a proportion of our enjoyment the mushrooms themselves represented! Our flushed cheeks, our prodigious appetites, and our boisterous merriment told of gains immensely greater than any that our baskets could have held. What a contrast, for example, between mushrooms from the moor on the one hand and mushrooms from the market on the other! What memories of the soft summer mornings; the fresh and fragrant air; the diffused and misty sunshine; the sparkle of the dew on the tall wisps of speargrass; the beaded and shining cobwebs; the scamper, barefooted, across the glittering green! It was part of childhood's wild romance. And, in the sterner days that have followed those tremendous frolics, we have learned that life is full of just such suggestive things. As I glance back upon the years that lie behind me, I find that they have been almost equally divided between two hemispheres. But I have discovered that, under any stars,

  There's part o' the sun in an apple;
    There's part o' the moon in a rose;
  There's part o' the flaming Pleiades
    In every leaf that grows.

And I shall reckon this book no failure if some of the ideas that I have tried to suggest are found to point at all steadily to that conclusion.

Comments

Random Post