The Best Church Hymns

This 1898 book is the result of a survey of 107 hymn-books. The thirty-two hymns are ranked in order of popularity. The texts in this recording are said only, not sung, along with a few explanatory notes for each hymn (some footnotes, not all, here recorded). The texts are preceded by two essays concerning hymns and their standards. Benson was an American Presbyterian minister who edited several hymnals.


By : Louis Fitzgerald Benson (1855 - 1930)

00 - Preface



01 - Introduction 1: What Are The Best Hymns?



02 - Introduction 2: What Is Today The Standard Of The Best Church Hymns?



03 - 1. Rock of ages, cleft for me; 2. When I survey the wondrous cross; 3. Jesus, lover of my soul.



04 - 4. All praise to thee, my God this night; 5. Jesus, I my cross have taken; 6. Sun of my soul, thou Saviour dear.



05 - 7. Awake, my soul, and with the sun; 8. Hark the herald angels sing; 9. Abide with me, fast falls the eventide.



06 - 10. Jerusalem, my happy home; 11. How sweet the name of Jesus sounds; 12. Nearer, my God, to thee.



07 - 13. From Greenland’s icy mountains; 14. Our God, our help in ages past; 15. Jerusalem the golden



08 - 16. Lo, he comes with clouds descending; 17. Jesus shall reign where’er the sun; 18. Glorious things of thee are spoken.



09 - 19. Hark, the glad sound, the Saviour comes; 20. Come, let us join our cheerful songs; 21. All hail the power of Jesus’ name.



10 - 22. Hail to the Lord’s anointed; 23. O worship the King all glorious above; 24. Christ the Lord is risen today.



11 - 25. Guide me, O thou great Jehovah; 26. Just as I am, without one plea; 27. God moves in a mysterious way.



12 - 28. Jesus, the very thought of thee; 29. Children of the heavenly King; 30. There is a land of pure delight.



13 - 31. Thou, whose almighty word; 32. Brief life is here our portion.

Comments

Random Post