Humorous Readings and Recitations

This anthology of short humorous pieces was intended as a ready reference of material of all sorts to those who participated in public performance, whether professionally, or as part of a school or community program. The pieces themselves were intended to be read aloud, shared with, and appreciated by, an audience.


By : Leopold Wagner (1858 - )

00 - Preface



01 - Accompanied on the Flute



02 - The Troubles of a Triplet



03 - Slightly Deaf



04 - The Lady Freemason



05 - What Happened Last Night!



06 - The Fatal Legs



07 - The Caliph's Jester



08 - A Journey in Search of Nothing



09 - Gemini and Virgo



10 - King Bibbs



11 - Molly Muldoon



12 - The Harmonious Lobsters



13 - The Provincial Landlady



14 - My Matrimonial Predicament



15 - Etiquette



16 - Lost Shepherd



17 - Mathematic Madness



18 - Waiting at Tottlepot



19 - Married to a Giantess



20 - The Vision of the Alderman



21 - The Demon Snuffers



22 - The Walrus and the Carpenter



23 - My Brother Henry



24 - A Night with a Stork



25 - The Faithful Lovers



26 - The Wail of a Banner-Bearer



27 - The Dream of the Bilious Beadle



28 - My Friend Treacle



29 - The Voice of the Sluggard



30 - Artemus Ward's Visit to the Tower of London



31 - Mr. Caudle has lent an Acquaintance the Family Umbrella



32 - Domestic Asides



33 - The Charity Dinner



34 - Acting with a Vengeance



35 - My Fortnight at Wretchedville



36 - The Sorrows of Werther



37 - Moral Music



38 - Billy Dumps, the Tailor



39 - On Punning



40 - Seaside Lodgings


In introducing to the public a Third Series of "Popular Readings," I consider it merely necessary to state that the courtesy of authors and publishers has enabled me to bring together a choice selection of humorous pieces which have acquired a large share of popularity, in addition to a number of others that may justly be regarded as novelties.

Concerning the former, I have so often had occasion to answer inquiries respecting particular pieces for recitation, that it occurred to me the handy collection of those most generally sought after, but hitherto scattered through various publications, would be welcomed by many; and I took steps accordingly. How far I have succeeded in my purpose a glance at the Contents-list will show. For the fresh matter admitted to these pages, I sincerely trust that from among so many new candidates for popularity, at least one or two of them may be elected to represent the Penny Reading Constituents of each respective Borough for some time to come.

Once more I beg to express my indebtedness and thanks to those authors and publishers who have so generously placed their copyright pieces at my disposal.

Comments

Random Post